It’s Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly bookish meme hosted by the broke and the bookish. Each week, there’s a different topic. Come up with your list of top ten, post it, and then add to the link at b&b’s masterpost, then bounce around and see other people’s lists.
This week’s theme was anything related to Valentine’s Day, so I went with Top Ten Book Couples.
Obligatory warning that some of the below relationships might be spoilers for those who haven’t read the book(s).
1. Whiskeyjack and Korlat from Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson – if only they could have had a happy ending.
2. Sean Connell and Sorka Hanrahan from Dragonsdawn and The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall by Anne McCaffrey – I love getting to see them grow up, from strange children to sort of well-adjusted young people to full grown adults with adult children of their own.
3. Dame Keladry of Mindelan and Sergeant Domitan of Masbolle from The Protector of the Small quartet by Tamora Pierce – okay, so they don’t actually get together in the books, but I think we all know it’s heading there. And if it’s not, I don’t want to hear it, fingers in my ears, la la la la, and all that jazz.
4. Glorianna Belladonna and Michael from Belladonna by Anne Bishop – Michael isn’t always my favorite character, but I always find myself caught up in their relationship.
5. R’shiel and Brakandaron from the Hythrun Chronicles by Jennifer Fallon – it’s been some years since I last reread the Hythrun Chronicles, but R’shiel and Brak – and their relationship, tumultuous and changeable as it so often was – remains with me.
6. Elena and Alexander from The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey – I know a lot of people didn’t really like Alexander, but I found his character development to be absolutely fascinating, even if the start of it was magically induced. Plus, the glimpses we get of these two in later books in the series show that this is a relationship that’s lasting.
7. Magiere and Leesil from the Noble Dead Saga by Barb and J.C. Hendee – I haven’t finished the series yet (and oh how I want to especially now that the last one is finally out!), but I do remember how much I enjoyed the development of Magiere and Leesil’s partnership. From partners who often had issues with each other to lovers against the world (or something like that).
8. Honor, Hamish, and Emily Alexander-Harrington/Harrington-Alexander from the Honor-verse by David Weber – yes it’s a trio not a couple, but the emotional feelings between all three of these people is simply beautiful. I love how all three of them are included in the relationship, if in different ways, and how they all so clearly depend on each other.
9. Mercedes Thompson and Adam Hauptman from the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs – in case I’m not being obvious enough, I love seeing relationships develop, and Mercy’s and Adam’s is a great example of this. In the course of the first, oh, three books, we see them go from irritable neighbors with UST willing to work together to friends who depend on each other to a couple with a solid foundation.
10. Tarrant Hawkins and Alexia of Okrannel from the DragonCrown Cycle by Michael A. Stackpole – see above re: developing relationships. Plus, I had a lot of fun with Alyx’s Fake Marriage attempt in the second book.
Anyone have some favorite couples out there, tragic or otherwise?