It’s Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly bookish meme hosted by the broke and the bookish. Each week, there’s a different topic. Come up with your list of top ten, post it, and then add to the link at b&b’s masterpost, then bounce around and see other people’s lists.
This week’s theme was Top Ten Websites I Love That Aren’t About Books.
1. TV Tropes – it used to be a lot more user friendly since, sadly, change is not always good, but I still appreciate being able to go here and browse tropes.
2. IMDB – whenever I see a movie and I go ‘I know your face/voice’, I go here. They also have some cool promo videos and if you’re into entertainment news they seem to have a decent number of links (I don’t care about that sort of thing).
3. Pathfinder Sourcebook – my passion other than writing/reading, arguably. I love my (usually) once-a-week get togethers with my Pathfinder group. This is a really handy website for looking up information, especially if you don’t have the book or only have one copy when two or more people need it – or if there’s a rules dispute.
4. Tangorin – a handy-dandy kanji/word/name/phrase search site. It even has a way to look up kanji by radical!
5. Wikipedia – when I want to look something up, Wiki is a great place to start. I go to the page I want and then look at their sources and go to those. Unless I’m feeling lazy and think Wiki is telling the truth, then I just go based off what I read there. But I think a lot of people do that…
6. Sweet’s Cakes/Claire’s Recipe Index – this is totally cheating, because Claire runs a book blog. But she also does a lot of recipes, and it’s for those that I’m including her site here. I’ve tried making a couple of her recipes with plans to make more. If you like baking – or just like looking at pictures of pretty desserts, go check her baking out!
And that’s all I have this week. So many of the websites I go to are book related, either through reading or writing….