It’s Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly bookish meme hosted by the broke and the bookish. Each week, there’s a different topic. Come up with your list of top ten, post it, and then add to the link at b&b’s masterpost, then bounce around and see other people’s lists.
It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these, thanks to a combination of forgetting and not being interested in the topics, but I figured I should at least try to get back into the swing of things.
This week’s theme was Top Ten Books I’d Buy Right Now if Handed a Gift Card. Because books are a luxury item when you have a nice local library or two.
1. Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka – I love both this book and its sequel, Autumn Bridge, and yet I don’t own either.
2. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater – I only own the first book in this quartet and I liked it enough that I want to one day get the other three (my collector’s soul demands it).
3. The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey – I need to read the sequel now that it’s been out for probably a few months. This was one of my favorite new reads last year.
4. Clariel by Garth Nix – this one’s been out for like a year or two now and I still haven’t read it let alone bought it. I mean really what’s wrong with me, am I right?
5. Kokin Wakashu (‘Collection of Japanese Poems of Modern and Ancient Times’) as translated by Helen Craig McCullough – I love the poems in this collection. And I’m working (in my ‘copious’ free time) on my own translation. Having this version could only be helpful.
6. The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle – such a great read. I had only a few minor quibbles with it and would love to have it at hand for every October.
And that’s all that I can think of. Although that’s 10 books total, so I don’t feel guilty at all.
What would you ‘buy’?